Sunday 30 May 2010

Nottingham

First things first! So Nottingham show are a bit useless. They don't really know the Kennel Club rules and don't really seem to care about them either. Which firstly surprises me due to them being under inspection for the condition of the ground, especially for Champ. Main reason I was annoyed was because I couldn't run Rodney in Champ due to maybe slightly on my part not chasing the grade had been changed correctly, but anyway. They allowed myself and Stu Harmes to run in grade 7 but not the Champ. Rule break number one, because Champ does not have their own rules (apart from running in order of course) therefore we either run in all grade 7 classes (including Champ) or none at all. Also Peter Dall sent in entries, they were not received, he had a proof of posting, yet the show again said he could run in all classes but Champ, rule break number 2. This is because with a proof of posting they are obligated to allow you to run in all your classes you have entered. The main reason the show were not allowing us to be put into the Champ was because they had not left 'ghost' runs (blank slots) and the draw for the running orders had been done. Yes a mistake on their part, and really not my problem. This could of course been rectified by adding in for insistence a 17a, 25b or 66 something... you can see where I am going. Again no rule stating this can not happen. I am considering putting in a complaint, we have to run by the rules, rightly so. So I like to think so must shows.

Ok ok, enough complaining. Ok, so I wasn't in the Champ, I guess it wasn't the end of the world. I could almost cope with not being in after watching the final. Where Lee Windeatt did another brilliant run to win with Bold (Ag Ch Deeann What A Cracker.) I think with a good run, I could of got reserve to him, doubt I would of beaten his run. Once again proving over and over again why Lee is one of the best. I am sure that will not be his only ticket for the year.

Rodney didn't have Champ, if anyone didn't get that. However Phoebe did. She went clear in the jumping and came 5th, then in the agility had a pole. So she got through to the final running number 16/20. Alan Bray was judging, I really liked the course, not too many places I could go wrong. But what I mainly liked about it was all the collies had been E'd or weren't there. So YES, thats right, if Phoebe and I were ever going to stand a chance in the Champ final... Hello. I had walked it a million times, and had never concentrated for so long and for so much on a run with Phoebe before. So what do I do? Set her up, whilst winding her up, hoping shes going to run faster, then release way too early out of position and get E'd at number 3... thats right. I wanted someone to just shoot me. I literally think a clear would of been enough. Kill me! I will NEVER have a chance like that again. We live and we learn. Just funny, how last week in my blog, I wrote a whole bit about how I keep messing runs up with Rodney due to releasing too soon and how I was going to solve it. Then once again did the same. What a total muppet!

I just trained the rest of my runs with Phoebe for the weekend. So on to Ploddy Roddy. So no Champ like I may have mentioned, however I had 3 other classes on the Sat. 6/7 agility, just trained my see-saw (stop) he stopped 4off so I did it again and he stopped perfectly. In the jumping he had the fastest time (woop woop) but had the last pole. Hadn't actually walked the course, however luckily one of my good friends, Paul Oldfield was there to tell me where to go and how to run it. I did what Paul said and it actually worked. I say this cos Paul usually comes up with some crazy things, which look bad on paper and no-one else could pull off apart from Paul, and we all know Paul doesn't always either :P. He says he comes up with these things so he doesn't have to turn too hard on his knees, due to his age, hes trying to prevent injury. Makes sense I guess. Well lets be honest he runs fast and looks good for 81 does he. Yes hes still single ladies. O yes, Rodney also had the Cruft Singles, I handled bad and got E'd :( I still only have 8 points. Need another 6 or so really.

Onto Sunday. Rodney had 2 jumpings, one which he ran well, my timing was just a bit late. Then the other, he had to wait around to long and switched off, so he walked around. So half way around I took a fast short route to leave the ring. We also had the CHUM (Olympia Qualifier) the last chance for day 1 of 2 of the semis. Due to no Champ, I really wanted this one class. So good hard ish course. Had decided I could do well on it. I had a blip at no3, apart from that was pretty much a perfect run until.... yes there is always a until or a but or something isnt there. So until.... dog walk, jump to finish. It was windy and took Rodney straight off the side... TWICE! Yes annoying, but luckily Rodney is 100% ok. With his run I am sure it would of put him in the top 5. O well... try again next weekend for day 2.

I almost forgot... how could I forget. We also had the team. Was probably the stupidest change over any judge could of come up with, apart from that the course was good. Rodney being a clever dog did a lovely clear. Just shame about our team mates :P who managed about 15 faults each. I didnt check, however dont think we won.

Wow that was a long post. No work tomorrow.. I plan to have a lay in. Then hopefully with nice weather, take the dogs for a nice walk and have lunch by the river somewhere :).

Things to work on... Continue with my wait training, was a lot better this weekend. However they need to be fantastic not just ok. To do this, I need to stop running in training with a toy in my hand, and have it to the side or behind Rodney. Cos thats where my wait falls apart. As soon as I dont have the toy, Rod starts looking around and can not concentrate on what I am doing, going or asking him to do. Again, hopefully easily resolved. 2) more weave entries, I need to get confident at any weave entry. It is not good enough being in a grade 7 class and not sure if my dog will get the weaves. Will hopefully go training with the Cook's on Weds to train both of these things :).

Hinckley next weekend, looking forward to it all ready.

xoxo