Tuesday 4 May 2010

Reserve CC

I think ill start this blog like I start all the others...

So...

I started this weekend by driving alllll the way to Scotland for Woodside. It was both Rodney and Phoebe's second champs each. Wasnt worth it in the slightest, I was useless. I have started doing this stupid thing where I get very nervous. I have always been one of these people who never gets nervous about anything and always just gets on with it. I used to show jump and the only time I would ever get nervous would be when I sat on a horse which I knew was likely to throw me off, so nerves for good reason. Since running Rodney I have got nervous in the odd class, however Champ is like a whole new ball game and I just havent been able to hold it together. I threw both Scunthorpe and Woodside jumping runs away by basically being so nervous I just didnt know what I was doing. This really needs to stop.

After Champ at Woodside, I was fine. Had a few places with both dogs. Best I think we did was Rodney had a 2nd in grade 7 jumping. (keeping my rule of having to get atleast one top 3 place at every show.)

After not really achieving anything at Woodside, I ventured home, arriving just after mid-night. This would of been ok, if I didnt have to get up at 7am to go to Vyne show. Luckily Vyne is held at Newbury showground, about 20/30 mins from my house.

I arrived at Vyne in time (thank god) to walk the Champ jumping, I looked around everywhere to discover the Champ ring was starting on Agility. It was a nice course, however I just didnt get to where I wanted to in the slightest. I wasnt happy with the run and half way around I did almost give up and left the ring, just didnt think it would be good enough. I have no idea how... but... with 42 clears Rodney ended up 5th. Shocked is not the word. I guess I wasnt the only one who couldnt get to where they wanted to. Lee and Bold did a nice run making them 3rd, Greg and Detox won it. I also ran Dylon in there, after training his contacts all weekend, tyre then see-saw... you'd think he'd stop... nope!

We then had the jumping round. I really liked the course, was so simple. This was the most nervous I have ever been before going into the ring. I knew all I had to do was trot around clear and Rodney would be through to the final with ease. Luckily Lee was there just before I went into the ring, which gave me a lot more confidence. I have no idea why, however I am always a lot more confident knowing he is there. Here is the run below...



O yes. I forgot.... Phoebe. Yes Phoebe had champ for the day too. You are prob thinking the same as me... O god.! She somehow ran very well. Here is her jumping run below. 5r due to me falling over.. whoops..



There was quite a few clears for mediums, so I knew I needed to go clear in the agility run. Phoebe again ran well... I couldnt believe it, then just at the end, I didnt dumbie and she ran past the dog walk. Due to lots of E's in this round, Phoebe somehow got to the final, along with Rodney. My first time in the Champ final and they both get there. woop!

Large was up first. I was nervous, but no where near as nervous as I was in the jumping round for some reason. I was running number 17, so had plenty of chance to watch most of the class. After watching Greg and Detox get faults then Dawn and Promise. I all of a sudden thought omg, I actually could win this. I did have a mini break down by myself for a moment, then got myself back together in time to watch a couple before I went in. Lee told me I could do it just before I got on the start line. I believed him and did the best I could. Ploddy Roddy ran very well and got the reserve ticket :D. Sarah Young and Lucy (Dave Munnings Dobbys sister) won it. Rodney was not even 0.2 behind. Pretty good going. Lee and Bold came 3rd, not even 0.1 behind Rodney. Which is even more impressive, seeing how most people dont know that Lee literally hasnt done any training with his dogs. Most people say they havent, but what they mean is they only went training twice this week. Lee's see contacts in the ring. I dont know anyone that could get there dogs around and get to every champ final without doing training like Lee does. I hope Lee gets to do more training over the summer, so he can keep showing everyone how good he is.

Naturally I watch the video back and can find a million things I could of improved on. Dont get me wrong, I am very happy with Rodney. Lets be honest. So...Hes 25 months old, been in the ring for 9 and a 1/2 months. He came out in grade 3 at Rugby in July. Kc fest he went grade 5. Norfolk grade 6. Big gap until Mid-downs in March where he went grade 7. His 3rd champ, first final (first time I havent got E'd in the jumping) Less than 2 months in grade 7 and he gets the reserve ticket. Not bad going at all. I just hope he can keep speeding up and my handling keeps improving so we can continue to do well and hopefully win some classes worth while. My aim has just gone up for this year. Aims now are... to get enough points to qualify for the Cruft Singles, we currently have 8 points, so need another place or two there. Qualify for the Olympia semis and would love to get a ticket... aiming high as usual.

Here is Rodneys Champ Final run...





This weekend coming we are off to Tun Bridge Wells. Looking forward to it already :).

xoxo