Sunday 28 March 2010

UKA Masters

Well on Sat I decided to go to UKA for the day, pretty much it was a good day. Rodney won the beginners agility by just over 6 seconds with just over a 100 dogs in the class (still in beginners in UKA, think I need 24 points or something to move up.) Then he also went and won both steeplechases. We had the jumping last in the day, I thought ok this will be another nice easy win, I jogged around, forgot to tell Rodney "right" and he back jumped number 17, so once again, that will teach me to not be so cocky lol.

Phoebe didnt run cos I think she was/ is in season. She came into season I think about 10 days ago, she only ever lasts a couple of days. Think she is out of season now, so hopefully fine for easter weekend coming up.

I also ran Dylon, trained his wait and contacts in the champ agility, did a lovely clear very pleased with him. Also ran him in the first Masters class. For those who dont know what the Masters is, its sort of the equivalent to Champ, but in UKA rather than at Kennel Club. I love the idea of it, regarding encouraging people to run more competitively in both runs with no final. I also like the idea of prize money for the top four, at the moment first prize for all heights is £100, again great, again encouraging competitive running, which again I love. BUT... Only thing I could fault was... that faults were added on as time instead of actual faults aka 1 pole down, or 1 missed contact = 5 faults as we know, instead it was 5 seconds added onto the time. The problem I had with this was the fact you could blast a very fast dog around miss your contacts and you could still win. Of course if the class grows and more good competitive people enter, I doubt that someone with 5 seconds added onto their time could win, but it still leaves that open. I hate the idea that a class would encourage people not to worry about their dogs too much and missing contacts is fine. Due to not many people entering on Saturday (it was only the first one after all) Greg won the maxi (large) with detox with two pretty good runs, however... he had a pole, so 5 seconds added onto the time... should someone win with 5 faults... hmm im not too sure. I dont think its such a big deal with just a pole down, however, if Detox had missed his A-frame, instead of having the pole down, he still would have won, is this right??... In my opinion no. I think that was my only thing regarding the Masters class I didnt like. I hope a few changes are made and that people support this class, so it can grow and prize money can grow (if so, ill be trying to get Rod up to Champ in UKA so I can have a go at winning the prize money.) O yeah... Andy Hudson did some of the best courses I have seen in a long time, brilliant :D.

My usual complaint of the week... no training due to the weather being crap :( BOOOO.

Anyway Easter Celebration this weekend, which I am looking forward to. Rodneys first classes in grade 7. I think its safe to say most peoples first camping show of the year. lets hope it doesnt rain.

xoxo